When it comes to packing your purse for a show I have a few essentials that no matter how small the bag they are coming with me. If there are no size restrictions on bag sizes I will bring my Patagonia Sling bag then I’ll throw in a few extras.
I prefer a sling bag to basically anything. The bag stays up close against your back, while only covering a small part of your back so its doesn’t get too hot. You can swing the bag around and easily access everything too. I prefer sling bags to the backpacks because packs can get very heavy on your shoulders and cause more sweaty back. Unfortunately, Sling bag selection is thin… if I would love to design sling bags I could make a killing!
Crossbody bags are great but only if you keep packing to a minimum. The heavier the bag the more annoying on your shoulders and hips when your dancing. When shopping for the good cross body show bag pay close attention to the construction. Zipper or fold over closure to prevent sticky fingers, inside zipper pocket and ideally a structured bottom are a must. A saggy or loose bottom can cause it to feel heavier with everything weighing it down.
- Hair Ties, Clips, Bobby Pins – seriously you will always want one and so will someone else. I connect the hair ties to my bag and I could cry if I don’t have a clip. My hair half up half down is my happy place.
- Chapstick with SPF – Keep your lips hydrated and protected from the sun too
- Wallet = ID, Credit Card, Insurance, Card with emergency info
- Phone + Phone Charger + Multi cord charger– this multi-cord will keep you and a friend charged or even your camera
- Tissue – True Life I have a constant runny nose. Also for the porta potties!
- Sunglasses – not only for the look but protect your eyes from the sun and dust. If you have room in your bag toss in a hat – or one with a drawstring to keep with you.
- Sunscreen – If I can a big bottle of spray sunscreen that I apply constantly. If not a stick for your face or a powder sunscreen like this keep you protected and feeling clean.
- Makeup – If my bag has room for makeup a little cover up and eyeliner can go a long way to make you feel fresh after 8 hours in the sun. Cream blush can do double duty as color for your lips and cheeks. Waterproof mascara that lactually last all day – this is my favorite. A little bottle of deodorant can be a life saver. Just found these Deodorant wipes, haven’t tried them yet but these are cool.
- Kimono or Sweater – During the day I pack a light kimono to keep the sun off my shoulders
I use a little green wallet I bought from Express in college. I have scoured the internet and have yet to find another one like it. I love it because of the side zipper. I transfer only the essential to a little wallet like this. The side zipper holds a Tile that tracks my stuff just in case I lose it or it’s stolen.
Also in the side zipper is Pepto and Advil. If the lot food doesn’t sit right you will be happy you have Pepto on hand. Headache or achey feet – Advil. Remember that drinking and Advil do not mix. So if you’re taking the Advil stick to water. Also, if you are having an upset stomach – hydrate!