I travel non-stop! If I’m not hoping on a plane cross country, I’m packing up the car for a trip to the mountains. I have come accustom to living out of a suite case therefore, I have my packing, especially a carry on, down to a science. If I can check a bag (or have enough room in the car) it’s a freakin’ free for all – 6 pairs of heels why not! I barely even wear heals but this trip could be the one I wear them all!
Checking or not I always carry quite a bit in my “Personal Item”. I have tried cute totes, but I stuff them so full they are a burden to carry and quickly hurt my back. So I will now and forever travel with my Patagonia backpack. The little pockets are great for keeping everything organized plus I can pack an extra outfit, shoes and toiletries in there.
Always in my carry-on backpack
- The Tech Stuff
- Computer + chargers
- Iphone5 wall & car charger
- Male to Male stereo audio cable – No ipod port? no problem!
- Headphones – I use jumbo headphones at work but travel with ear buds so much more comfortable to sleep with
- Toiletries – If all my toiletries are not already in there….
- Oscar BlandiDry Shampoo – I have been using this stuff for years and absolutely love it, don’t be scared of the white powder it will rub/fade into dark hair and it smells lovely
- Laura Mercier Secret Concealer #2 – I use it for under eye and cover up – I never travel without it
- Naked2 Basics – The greatest eye pallet ever created in compact form
- Stella All Day Liquid Liner – simply the best and really last all day
- Tarte Matte Lip Tent – without some sort of color, my lips look like I just chugged a blue Gatorade which in reality is very probable…but a little color on lips goes a long way
- Essential Meds – Advil, Nyquil, Pepto, Advil Cold & Sinus
- Deodorant, Contact Case & Solution
- Emergen-C – Getting sick while traveling is the worst, so stay healthy!
- Black Tea – you will be surprised how many places don’t have tea aka rental houses and hotel rooms
- Jewelry – never ever check your jewelry
- Sleeping Mask – I always thought these were weird. Until, my friend gave me one for a long weekend on the blow up mattress in their very sunny New York City living room. Now I will always travel with one. Hotels with weird blinds and homes with no curtains (it happens) be damned, I am sleeping in complete darkness. Also essential for camping!
- Refillable Water bottle – I want this and I have this
- Pens – for when all your electronics die and its 20 mins before landing so the only thing to do is the Sudoku and crossword in the in-flight magazine
What I wear to the airport
- Always look nice – even when I take the red-eye I try to look nice in my comfortable clothing. Looking nice and put together always helps with upgrades and people generally treat you better.
- If I’m carrying on, I typically wear my Frye boots because they are big and heavy. If not another pair of boots just to save room in my bag. If not I wear my kicks to fastly and comfortably navigate the airport.
- Socks! it is freezing on planes
- Sweater ^^ planes are cold and your arms will get cold
- Blanket Scarf – yes these are all the rage but they are perfect for traveling too! Like I said planes are cold and you will want something to cuddle up with, or stuff in the small of your back for comfort.
- Roll it! Rolling saves so much room in your suitcase, plus it prevents wrinkles. Except jeans, I lay those flat at the bottom of my bag.
- Stuff it! Socks, undies, bathing suits go in 2nd to last in any corner I can find.
- Jackets go in last on top of everything because they will compact. If not carry it on.
- A little black dress can get you a long way so toss in a dress and some heels and clutch. Nothing ruins an outfit faster than an inappropriate bag.
- Don’t forget to pack something cozy too! I have been guilty of this so many times. I pack all the outfits for the events and forget the downtime in between. Cozy sweaters and leggings are a must and if I can fit them my Uggs!
- Workout clothing – will I go to the gym no, but I will want my Nike shorts for around the house and leggings just in case I go on a run/walk/last minute grocery shopping, yes.
- Tropical location – pack FLIP FLOPS. Strappy sands are sooo cute until you have to take them on and off at the beach.
- The things you will inevitably forget to pack
- Contact Solution
- Tooth Brush
- Carry-on roller, backpack + purse makes 3 items! Either leave room in your “Personal Item” for your purse or go buy a magazine or snack and put your purse in the plastic bag. Airport plastic bags do not count towards your two-item limit!
- If I am checking, I ALWAYS pack a change of clothes. You never know when your bag might get lost. I spent half a spring break in a Radison Hotel T-shirt, my mom’s shorts and the only bathing suit I could find that was not a thong. Pack something that can take you from day to night – a nice top and dark jeans can get you just about anywhere…